Background

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Melrose - the story

     This is for you, Adam Rowell.

     For all you that are wondering, no, I'm not an uber fan of Melrose Place. Actually, I've never seen that show and can't tell you a single actor from it.
     I am a very literary person and I come from a very literary family - we heart books. I love books more than food, my iPhone, and shopping all put together. My only problem with them is that I run out entirely too fast, they're entirely too expensive, and our library, well, sucks.
     'Melrose' got started by my dad. My life, being stuck in the middle of Wait and all, was frustrating to the max. Nothing was going right, and just when everything was going okay, the bottom would fall out. I get very emotional when I'm mad or frustrated, and Dad was attempting to get me to think about something other than sticking my head in the oven or something. Now, I didn't think it was very funny, but it is rather appropriate.
     The Melrose story is from a book, Epiphany, by Ferrol Sams, who's a southern writer with these great analogies for life. In the book, he tells this story:
     
               An old farmer gets up at dawn, gets dressed, and goes into the kitchen. There's no breakfast, no light on, nobody. He knocks on his housekeeper's door to see what's going on and she tells him 'I'm too sick to cook, can't even get out of bed. I need you to go to town and bring back the doctor for me, quick like.' So the farmer sighs, but goes to change from his overalls to his town clothes.
                Outside, he finds that his old car won't start. He sighs, but manages to get it going by pushing it over and down a little hill. He goes until he has to go through a little creek, and then the car gets stuck. He sighs, but takes his shoes off, rolls his pants up, and manages to get his car out and going again.
                A little way along, he has a flat. He sighs, and folds his coat, and changes the tire to the spare. A mile later, he has another flat. He grips the wheel and thinks for a while. Then he removes that flat and starts rolling it down the road towards town.
                Half a mile from the car, it starts pouring rain so hard he cant see. He's standing in his only suit, stranded on the roadside, soaking wet. He drops the tire, shakes his fist at the sky, and yells 'My God! Why do all these things have to happen to me?'
                 With that, the rain stops, the clouds part, and a deep voice booms down 'I don't know, Melrose; there's something about you that just chaps My tail!'

     You can see why I gave Dad the evil eye over this story. Here I am, wallowing in my misery, and he tells me this? Gee, love you too, huh? I think I might have let out a wail and started to bawl some more, but at that point in my day that was pretty much going to be my reaction to anything.
     So, Melrose or not, here I am. Patience to endure, that's what I'm going for. (No Lord, that was NOT a request...) If you want a great book to read, I do reccommend Ferrol Sams to you, either Epiphany or Run with the Horsemen. They're both full of these little Melrose-like jewels, and are just great reading besides.


No comments:

Post a Comment