Background

Monday, October 24, 2011

Organization Projects

     Lately I've become a Pinterest addict. I'd seen pins on several of my friends' blogs for a while, and finally I caved and joined up. Other than it's ability to make me waste hours at a time on the internet, it's pretty amazing. Like any girl I love getting great ideas for my future house and wedding, and you can find ideas and inspiration for pretty much anything else on there too.
     Season changing always makes me itch to get creative and organize stuff. I mean, you already have to switch out your wardrobe, break out the boots and coats and scarves, put up the swimsuits and flipflops...and if you're anything like me that involves a lot of closet rethinking switch-a-rooing. Its a good excuse as anything to go ahead and get busy.

     I kinda didn't mean to be here for cold weather this year, so I was a little unprepared this week when it got chilly. I had bought a ton of clothes for living in warm Ecuador, so this week I've been digging out winter clothes in a hurry! I'm super cold-natured. Winter in Mississippi isn't that cold compared to lots of places, but as cold as I stay here I'd never make it living somewhere like Minnesota where it snows ten feet deep for months at a time, and gets REALLY cold.
     Around this time every year, I rearrange my closet - tank tops, sundresses, and t-shirts go in the back, sweaters and layering longsleeves and hoodies come to the front, flipflops go in the storage bin, boots and tennis shoes go in the shoe organizer thingy. I don't like unorganization and not being able to find what shirt I'm looking for in a hurry, so I've got my little OCD system for what order things get hung up in.
     My new ideas to make it even more organizing-happy for me:

Source: bhg.com via Alyssa on Pinterest


All my purses are currently in a milk-crate in the floor. Which makes me crazy every time I have to dig through it to find the one I'm looking for. So, shower curtain rings hung on the bottom rod I don't use = easy to find, organized bags.

I have shelves going up the back of my closet. But I don't like using them because when they're full of stuff, my closet looks cluttered. So I've bought some big white canvas bins like these, and I'm going to use them for my flip flips, t-shirts and lay-around pants, my extra blankets, whatever.

I have a flat, sliding plastic tub that's going under my bed for all my summer stuff like swimsuits and shorts that I'm not going to see until next year. Out of my closet, more room for the stuff I actually want to see.


     I have a ton of bathroom stuff to find a place for, since I bought a year's worth of toiletry items thinking I'd be living in a country where they don't sell Neutrogena and Cover Girl. 

I bought one of these last year to put all the little bobby pins and chapstick kind of stuff that always ends up cluttering up my vanity. It might be the best ten bucks I ever spent. Girls, if you buy anything for yourself this year, buy one of these! You won't regret it.

In my bathroom, Molly and I each have three big drawers, and for the stuff we share we have a cabinet under the sink and a tall linen cabinet. I want one of these big silverware organizer type things for one of my drawers.

  I want at least one of these to put all our curling irons and straighteners in. You ladies know how messy those things and all their cords can be.

We have a small one of these, maybe a foot and a half long with small pockets, on the back of our bathroom door. I think it was supposed to be a jewelry organizer, but it work great to hold hair clips and makeup and all the other little stuff that usually ends up running around the bottom of a drawer.

While they're clearancing out all the gardening stuff I want to make a set of these, in mixed teal colors, for our vanity. We have a big leaf shaped platter thats all different colors of teal and blue and green (TJMaxx find, love that place) that they would look so pretty on.


     When I get all these things finished, I'm hoping they look good enough I can post pics of the finished products!

No comments:

Post a Comment