Background

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring Break and Unemployment

     I graduated from academia for the foreeable future last May, and life is kind of strange when you no longer have to base your life around the academic calendar. You buy planners that run from January to December. You realize that summer actually begins when it gets hot outside and the sno-cone stand opens, not just when the school bus stops running.

     This spring break, my sister and parents are on a mission trip in Belize. And this summer after my sister's graduation they've planned a senior trip for her and her best friend to Orlando. I'm missing out on both of these on purpose. Why? One main reason, and it's really gotten under my skin.

     I am unemployed. Period. I am missing the spring break trip because I had hoped to be employed by now, and I'm missing the Orlando trip because I'm praying to be employed by then.

     Like I said, I graduated last May. After working with Global Outreach last year and coming home, in December I was going stir-crazy sitting around the house every day so I started applying for jobs. One in particular had me really excited. BancorpSouth had several amazing job openings in their technology center, complete with great pay and benefits, that I was more than qualified for, and I was able to get some amazing references (like one of their VPs) that put me in a very good place in applying. For these positions, I had to apply through a temp agency. The lady there took my resume and said she'd submit it, but that I probably wouldn't get that job anyway, and I never heard anything back from her. Nearly three months later, after bugging my connections there every week asking for news about the jobs, they hire other people. I find out afterwards that the temp agency lady never submitted my resume in the first place, so I waited all that time for nothing. After a large blow up from my VP friend, that lady won't be getting away with that anymore, but I still feel very cheated and very unemployed. My resume is now on their waiting list for the next job that comes available, but I kind of feel like I've already done my waiting, you know?
    
     I'm not sure why it's so hard to find a job, even considering the current economy. I've got a rather different skill set than you're average hiree, but I'm pretty sure I'm still what you call qualified. I spent three years in interior design/art school, then I did my associates in business in my last year. I also got certified in phlebotomy in case Global decided to send me to a location where they did medical outreach, even though that's not the field I particularly want a job in. I'm also experienced as a chef, both in a restaurant and pastry/baking setting. I have really great computer and organizational/secretarial skills, I've taught music lessons for several years, I'm surprisingly fluent with medications and pharmacology (I've lived with two nurses and my sister is fixing to be in RN school), and I love literature and history. 
     Even having all that under my belt, I can not find a job for mess. This is what I'm looking for: something stable and full-time, a decent work environment, more than minimum wage, no retail or food service. I'd like some sort of office environment but that's not a must have, and I'd like to have the option to advance. Also, something I can physically handle. I'm a small, petite female, and that caused some health problems for me in my restaurant cooking job (ex. If I only weigh 115, I shouldn't be lifting a 50 lb. sack of flour).
      The things I think I'd want most in a job is that it have variety, and that I could leave it there when I come home. The variety part could be working with different people every day, or be able to do different tasks during the day, or just working with people who can keep up good conversation and keep the day moving along. Being able to leave it when I come home means that I don't have to stress all day about doing my job right, and then come home and keep worrying about the problems I had that day and how I'm going to fix them tomorrow. I don't think work should follow you home.




     I have been sitting at home every day waiting on various jobs since October. I'm not necessarily a extroverted, high energy person, but even I am maxxed out on housetime. It wears on you, not having something to accomplish or work on. Even with Pinterest or reading or thinking up projects for myself to do, life gets really monotonous. My dad tells me to go ride my bike or walk or to go to town, but I'd still be by myself and just killing time like always.
     One of the worst things, the thing I hate most, is when people ask me 'Well, what are you doing these days?'. All adults asks college aged kids that question. It is so frustrating to me to have nothing to say other than, well, nothing. Every time I answer the 'What are you doing?' question, I either get an 'Oh...okay' response or a 'Well, I'm sure you'll figure something out soon'. I know that there's no reason I should be embarrased by being unemployed or not know what I want to do yet, but for some reason I feel like they're all giving me this look like 'Gah, go get a freaking job if you're not going to go to college anymore, lazy butt!'. Especially the ones who answer with 'Oh...'.


     A job would be useful in so many other ways. Like the paycheck part. I'm 22, I live with my parents, and I have to depend on them for everything. Gas if I go anywhere, money to eat if I'm not with them, clothes, even the stuff I just see and want like a new purse or pair of earrings. They're great and don't mind paying for my things, since I'm pretty low maintenence, but I very much miss when I made my own money and could spend it on the things I wanted. It doesn't matter if you have everything you need, it still feels good knowing you can provide for yourself. I know my parents like having me at home as well, but I liked having my own place too. I like having my own space, and I loved being able to decorate and use my furniture and stuff. I don't dislike living at home, I think it's more about being independent and getting to make my own choices. And it is harder when you move out, then back in, then out, then back in again. You get used to your own routine, then have to adjust back to the group.

     I don't know. This is just me talking out of my head, letting some of what's built up get out. If you all have any thoughts, let me know them! I could use some feedback, and some prayers if you're willing to give up a few seconds for me. And please, if you know of a job in the Pontotoc, Oxford, Tupelo, or New Albany area that fits my bill, let me know!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment