Background

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Southern Woman Adventures: Okra and Homemade Salsa

     We picked even more tomatoes this week, and a little bit of okra (my favorite!). Most of the tomatoes went to Meagan's stockpile of tomato soup, but we saved a little bit to try out something new. My cousin Angela from Corpus Christi, TX, or 'North Mexico' as they call it, sent us her 100% authentic salsa recipe to try out.
     Note - this recipe is roughly a double of hers, about six cups.

First, about six or seven cups of tomatoes. Peeled and ready to go in the food processor.

All produce other than the tomatoes I bought yesterday at Kroger. They have really good, fresh produce, and they'll have the oddball ingredients you need, like sweet onions or serrano peppers, plus fresh herbs too.

Garlic. We used half of a head of garlic, about five sections.

Sweet onion. They were HUGE so I only used a fourth of one.

Jalapenos. We actually ended up using three to give it the heat we wanted, but we didn't use the seeds or inner membranes. Angela said if you like something spicier you can add the seeds, or add a hotter pepper, like a serrano.

Cleaned out peppers.

Fresh cilantro. Definitely a must.

About two big handfuls of leaves stripped from the stems (we used a good bit extra than the recipe says, but it gave it a great fresh taste)

One lime's zest plus the juice of three limes, also more than the recipe said, but it added to the fresh taste too.

2 tsp salt and sugar, and 1 tsp ground cumin. Sorry there's no sugar in this picture, but we have a very old Tupperware container for our sugar and it's not the most photogenic.

The diced up peppers, onion, and garlic. They don't need to be perfect since they're going in the food processor anyway, but the smaller pieces make it easier.

All the non tomato ingredients, pre-food processor.

After pulsing a few times in the processor until it's as smooth as you want - we wanted a really juicy, thin salsa - you cook it on the stove for thirty minutes, then taste to see what more it needs. We ended up adding a little more pepper, some tobasco, and salt.

Yield: three pint jars...

And two mini jars for Molly to take to college!




Next up - okra! I love love love fried okra, it is my absolute favorite, so if I want any I get to put it up. I actually am not learning this new this year, I've put up okra a few years before.

Slice the clean, damp (that's important) okra into small pieces.

Yes, I actually did more than just take the pictures, I promise.

Bowl full of sliced, damp okra.

Add flour and cornmeal in a 1:2 ratio.

Toss to lightly coat the okra. The okra being damp is what helps the breading stick to it. My mom helped me with this part...those are her hands there :)

Then all you do is bag it up!


My yield of the day! Just freeze until you're ready to eat, and it's amazing when you do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment