Background

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

First Time Lessonplanning

     Well, it's totally true. God has a sense of humor, and I think right now He's on the floor laughing at me. That's right people, the girl who swore VBS was the best birth control on the planet, who said she'd never teach, who said she'd not leave the greater city limits of Thaxton, MS...is going to spend 9 months teaching 4 year olds in Ecuador. And the reality has begun to set in.
     Being a planner, I'm now going into Panicked Planning Mode. I have only 75 (give or take a few) days before I leave. Next week, 5 of those are totally dedicated to MOT/orientation. In July, 10 are dedicated to my college class's Key West mission trip. And I of course have several odd and end days blocked out for stuff like weddings, Molly's senior pics, one last cake, and little stuff like getting in all my dentist appointments and such before I leave the US. So basically, down to....50? Ohgoodlord.

     This week, I've wrote out a GIANT list of people, complete with addresses, that I'm sending support letters to. Believe me, an undertaking of this sort requires LOTS of support. This list will also be used if Global requires me to write up an update letter to send out. Of course, I'll be updating Facebook and my blog much more often than I will be sending out mail, so just stick with me here and you'll be up to speed.

     As far as actually planning lessons and stuff, they're actually writing up the academic curriculum right now. Ms. Wendy, the missionary, has been teaching the preschool for the past few years, and the fact that I'm going to teach her class gives her an opportunity to start writing a standard curriculum for all the teachers in each grade to go by. They use a Spanish version of Abeca, mixed in with an English version. And bonus, if I happen to need help, Ms. Wendy's not totally unavailable to help me!
     Even with the curriculum taken care of though, I'll still have to come up with crafts, teaching aids, songs, games....all the stuff you need to keep a pack of 4 year olds occupied with you from 8 am to 2 pm. It's been sort of a mix between 'fun' and 'Oh lord what am I forgetting?'
     Basically, we're going to cover the Alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, all the generic preschool stuff. I'm sure we'll go over stuff like animals, weather, music, etc. Being that it's a Christian school, we also add in simple Bible stories and songs.
      I'm limited as to what I can take with me, basically what I can fit in two suitcases along with all my clothes and personal effects. I'm totally paying extra and just making it overweight, if it's an option. They are in a larger city, so I can buy some supplies. A few things are hard to get down there, like stickers, construction paper, and washable markers, so I'll definitely be packing those. I've already got some teachers saying 'We've got that kind of stuff running out of our closets! Please take some of ours!' so that's good. I will have my computer and internet access at the school, so I can always print off a few coloring sheets or stick in Finding Nemo if I get in a pinch.
      It's been kind of fun at my house. I've been making my mom and sister try to come up with little kid songs and games. Some we all remember, some we started out only remembering a few words of and between us we got it, some we just gave up on!
    
     So, here's my project/challenge for all of you. Especially you teacher ladies just coming out of student teaching! I have tons of songs and lesson/teaching ideas, but I need some other ideas. Easy games for preschool age, that don't necessarily have to be played outside, and easy craft ideas that don't require a ton of stuff pre-bought or cut out/assembled. I'm guessing I'll have around 20 kids. Ready.....Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment