Background

Thursday, April 26, 2012

On the Job Train!

    That's right! Alyssa Falkner is now among the ranks of the employed! You're now reading the post of the newest employee of American Flooring of Saltillo. I'm their new office help slash sales and design consultant :)   I've been working just about two weeks, so I can say that I think I'm going to enjoy doing very much for a good long while.
     This entire job opportunity has been a total God thing, beginning to end. My dad found this generic ad in the Daily Journal, no business name, for an office worker with a business degree who also had experience with colors and design elements. Well well well...that doesn't fit me at all, does it? haha. My dad faxed them my resume right away.
     I was a little scared to give a resume to a generic ad, I mean it could be anything from Lowes customer service to working for a telemarketing company selling fast dry paint. But dad explained that lots of companies don't tell who they are when placing want ads; it keeps everyone they know from calling and volunteering their unwanted nieces/nephews/children/etc. for employment.
     Well, to my utter surprise and no small delight, I got a call that very afternoon about that resume. Kind of surprised me, but hey, I wasn't turning it down! American Flooring in Saltillo wanted to meet with me the next day (again surprising me, but I'm all for getting things done quick), so an appointment was made.
     9:00 the next morning came, and I was sitting in my new boss' office. They were in need of office help that could actually do a little bookkeeping, process orders for them, and run the computer program that they work their insurance cases up on, but they also needed somebody who was good with design that when customers come in I could help them pick out the flooring they wanted and make it look good.  Best interview I've ever had, so I was super excited when I left.
     The next week, I got a call back for a second interview. After meeting a few minutes, I walked out an employed person. Can we say a big hallelujah? If you know me, you know I didn't just need a job, I NEEDED a job!

     So far, it's an amazing job. I love the pace of how everything runs, even when we're busy. All my co-workers are great about me being new, and really laid back and fun. Of course there's always that one guy that's a little strange and not a little crazy...but hey, we have to have something to entertain the rest of us, right? haha
     I work 5 days a week, and generally my off day is Wednesday. Hours are good, and the pay is even better :D  What more could I ask for?

     And of course, with the new job comes me being newly obsessed with all things floor. Do you really have any idea all the kinds of things you can do on a floor? Neither did I. But happy for us, Pinterest is a never ending source of creative floor love! Here are some of my favorites:

Chevron tiled bathroom floor...your installer might kill you for all those angled cuts, but oh it's so pretty!

Now this I want. Install a niche like you'd put in a shower, but for a backspash instead. Great for all those salt and pepper shakers and stuff that's cluttering your countertop.

I love this shower. Plain old subway tile, but with a color pop. This would be great for remodeling an old shower/tub-in-one unit.

More chevron. And in gray! So pretty.

Continuing the chevron onto the walls.

Again, plain old subway tile in the shower. But wow, that window just jumps the elegance bar from boring to amazing! Love it.

This isn't my favorite color combo, but this linear trim is in like crazy right now! Especially tan/browns and grays.

Now this, I would have in my house. Absolutely, yes. And I will be having the extra faucet over the stove range. No more lugging heavy pots of water back and forth from the sink!

No comments:

Post a Comment