Background

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election 2012 - A Different View

   
 

 
     Tonight, Mr. Obama was reelected to his second term as our president. Even though he wasn't my personal choice at the polls, I'm not going to get my panties in a wad and let everyone know how mad I am that my team lost. I was raised better than that.
 
     Honestly I'm so relieved that this election is finally over. I completely dislike politics, and really hate election year politics, because of the condition our country declines to during them. On social media sites especially, election years bring out the worst in people. And it sickens me. Just because someone isn't voting for your candidate, it's okay for you to make racial slurs, belittle their intelligence, talk about their religion? I've seen picture, memes, signs, slogans, anything you can make, and most of it I woulnd't dare repost or even repeat! Saw these two today:
 
 
     Pitiful. And people get offended when their rights aren't respected to the utmost degree. How about 'friends respect their friends political views, no matter if they're different from their own'?

     This is America. And because they missed a couple of lessons in government class, whoever posts those signs should be educated in what that means. America was formed by people who didn't have freedom to vote for the way their lives were ruled. Our founders and lawmakers through the years set up our voting system, and many many men and women have given their lives through the years, so that you might have the priviledge to vote and do it freely. You can pick the candidate of your choice, the party of your choice, and vote however you like on the choices given you. Just because someone doesn't vote the same as you, it doesn't give you the right to belittle them or their choice. You have the right to respect that their views are different from yours, and the right to hope that the candidate or platform you voted for wins.  
 
     It's so hard for voters to make an intelligent, informed decision these days when you're voting. With the media throwing their opinions around, all the gossip on social sites, and the debates that do absolutely nothing to clarify candidates positions, I'm amazed anything truthful ever makes it to the ears of the voters. But it's our responsibility and our right to make an informed decision.
     My parents wanted to raise a responsible adult who cared about understanding the vote I would be casting and learning about the candidate I was marking my tally for, and thank God for it! I take time each year to talk with them and understand what it is I'll be voting for, which candidates have what view, and what their opinions are. This year's voting has been the source of many conversations around the Falkner house, and will probably spawn quite a few more.
 
     As for this election, even though Mr. Obama wasn't my candidate of choice, I was raised to understand that once the vote was in, that was that. He's now once again our president, and as such deserves our respect. I may make jokes about him, and have about several other presidents, but I would never make a remark that insulted his race, called him retarded, or said that I would rather him die than be reelected, like some of the comments I've read lately. I admire him and his wife very much for keeping their family together so well in spite of all the stress I know they must face. You can tell they love each other and their children very much, and that is a quality I value highly.
     All I will say about him and this election is congratulations Mr. President, and good luck.
 
 
 
 
      
 

No comments:

Post a Comment