Background

Monday, November 5, 2012

Help!

     This is a girls only post, which means all you cootie filled boys have to stop reading now or forever be tainted by the hormone, femininity filled post ahead.



     Are the men gone? Okay ladies, Alyssa needs help! Advice, tricks that worked for you, family remedies, life stories, anything short of crazy I am open to trying. For the casual reader dropping by, I'm getting pretty personal about myself in this post (nothing gross I promise) but it's because I know at least one of you out there has to have had some of my problems before.
    
     This whole year last year, I have had problems with my hormones. Very basically, when I got mono last year and dropped 20+ pounds in a month, I stopped having a period. My doctor knew about it, and though it wasn't great for me, we had other things to worry about and that wasn't a totally unexpected side effect. Side note: zero possibility of me getting a date at that point of my life, much less pregnant, so that was definitely not the problem. Fast forward a couple of months to early summer, I've gained most of my weight back, mono is gone, I'm healthy in all other regards, but still not having a period. All the women of the world are drooling with jealousy here, I know. However, I've been on birth control for several years to help with my migraines, and with me still not having a cycle, I'm getting more and more messed up the longer I go. My migraines also started getting worse, as they're very hormone controlled.
     The 'lady' doctor I had been seeing made matters worse, first putting me on extra estrogen then a higher dose birth control pill, and when that didn't work taking me off everything altogether, because 'sometimes skinny people just don't have periods' and 'it's not hurting you not to have one'. Oh. my. gosh. Talk about dropping me off a cliff. Taking me from a pretty high regular dose of hormones that I've been on for years, cold turkey? I had a migraine for a straight week, and was dangerous to be around. The people at my house need me to be hormone regulated. Proven need.
     I finally went to my family doctor who has seen me a lot this past year, a very very smart woman, and confessed to being a dangerous woman out on the loose. She treats me for my migraines, which is a talent surprisingly few doctors have. A neurologist once told me that since I was to be allergic to triptans (Imitrex type meds), I was just going to have to suffer. Like, not joking told me that. Um...no. Very unimpressed with your bedside manner there doc.
     Anyway, back to my doctor. She treats me for everything else, so I told her she could add the 'lady' doctor part to the list. Just fyi, skinny people still need periods just like everyone else, especially if you're a 23 year old skinny person on birth control, and it is highly unhealthy to go without your regular period.
     She put me right back on my old birth control (much rejoicing occured at that decision), and ran much blood work to make sure I had nothing else out of whack other than the level of my hormones.

     Now I'm slowly getting back to normal but having all these weird hormone related side effects. It's kind of like going through puberty all over again, but worse than I ever had it as a teenager, and all at once! Ugh.
     First, my hair has changed texture twice in the last year. That is more of a manageable side effect, you find the right shampoo (again) and once its dried and straightened you're pretty much done.
     Not so manageable is the fact that my skin is no longer my beautiful, smooth, not dry and not oily, never get a pimple skin anymore. Don't get me wrong, I use good makeup, I take care of my skin, always have. But lately it doesn't seem to matter. I'm constantly in the middle of one breakout or another, I have blackheads popping out like crazy, and my skin is oilier than I can ever remember it being. Disgusting! And yes, I have lots of stress, and yes I deal with dirty nasty money all day long. This probably doesn't help matters, but not a changeable thing. I have always been secretly thankful for and proud of my skin, because it was so easy to deal with and, if my family is any key, only gets better in the long run. I want it back!
     I don't know if any of y'all have any problems with your skin or hair still, but if you can remember any tricks you loved from back in the day or that saved your life for that one huge date, SHARE! Basically, I want to know how to keep my face from breaking out so much, how to keep your face not-oily, how to stop a breakout when I know it's coming or how to make it get over quicker, how to make the blackheads vanish, any tricks that make you feel un-blugh when you're extra hormonal, all that jazz. Anything, Help a sister out!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could help! I've been through some weird patches of having a period for a month and that was absolutely miserable too!

    I hope they can help you SOON! :)

    ReplyDelete