Background

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Anti-diet food anyone?

     If anyone out there likes sugary goodness, welcome to The Cakery! My menu and pricing can be found here, but I'm never opposed to trying out any requests you have! Everything I make is homemade. I'm all about doing things the old fashioned way as far as ingredients and baking - I make it however it tastes best, using real butter, cream, etc. Yes, that makes it all fattening, but it makes it all tasty too. I make them as close to your order date as possible, not doing things ahead of time and freezing them until I need them. If there's fruit involved, it comes from Sam's or Pontotoc Market Basket, because those two places get choice pick of the fruit market. If you ever want to know what's in anything, I'll be happy to tell you.
     As of right now, I'm not doing this to keep a store running or pay off student loans; I'm just doing it because I enjoy being covered in cake batter and trying out new design ideas. I don't have any formal training in this either; I just started making desserts and kept going.
     PS I want to give a shoutout to www.sweetapolita.com. She's a big help as far as method goes. Everything she does looks like it tastes amazing. I think I want to try making everything this lady has blogged about.
   
     Here are some of my more popular, and most favorite, things I do.

Birthday Cakes - This one was for my friend Lauren Patton. Two layers, cuts to around 20 slices. Cake, icing layer, and fondant design. Colors, designs, and patters are unending! I don't do a lot of character cakes though, as I found out I'm reeeeally awful at imitating Dora or whoever's face out of icing.

Layer cakes - 2 or 3 layers, pretty much endless combinations of cake, filling, and icing. These two are Cookies & Cream: chocolate cake, vanilla filling, Oreo icing; and Chocolate Covered Strawberry: vanilla cake, strawberry filling, chocolate fudge icing, and strawberries on top.

Cookies - These two are my favorites to make: 
Jam Cutout Cookies - Any kind of jam or jelly you like can be made into a cookie.
Iced Butter Cookies - These can be iced plainly, or decorated. I actually am eating some right now.

Cupcakes -  About as much fun as cakes, except in mini! If you love love love icing, cupcakes are for you.

Beignets - Oh my, beignets. If you've never tasted these, I'm almost willing to come to your house and make them hot for you for breakfast, just so you can have that life experience.

Chocolate Truffle Strawberries - I love getting creative with strawberries. They can be made to match any occasion, like holidays or weddings.



Wedding Cakes
This is something relatively new to me, but it's been so so fun to play around with. If I get bored, I look up pics of wedding cakes online. Bad habit, because now I want to get a hundred weddings scheduled so I can make all these cake designs! Until then, I guess I'll be making lots of styro cakes :)
These are some of my favorites.
This is so fun! It could even be a cute Valentine's cake or Anniversary cake.

I'd almost have this cake at my wedding. I love that color purple, and this cake looks really elegant while still being simple, and most importantly cost friendly and do-able even for so big a cake.
A mini version of this would be so cute for a little girl birthday cake! But it's also adorable for a fun, girly, whimsical wedding.
I love, love, love this cake design. I almost want to make my wedding cake similar to it. It's so unique! And it satisfies all my wants: pop of color (except mine would be purple), traditional, simple, elegant.
This would be so great for an outdoor wedding and reception. It's so natural. And it's got a great modern flair while staying elegant and wedding-y.
I love grooms cakes like this. It looks like it'd be so much fun to just pour chocolate all over a cake!

So tailored and simple, but so pretty. The mod black and white wedding theme is huge right now. Even if a bride wanted to add in a splash of color, it'd be really easy, either with the flowers or ribbon.

You know, I've never seen someone use this color combination, and yet it's so pretty for a summer or outdoor country wedding. What makes this cake so cool? Those blue flowers are stenciled directly onto the cake.

This might be the cutest, most fun cake ever. Can't you just see this as some great couple's wedding? And all their wedding party going 'I call the J!' 'Well I call the M!' haha

    If you have a secret obsession with all things sugary, send me pics of your favorites! If I make any of them, you'll get a big shoutout, and I'll get to have big fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment