Background

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March showers, trees with flowers

     I'm never one to take my camera and get snap happy...actually, I don't even own a camera...but today I felt like getting out and exploring, so I grabbed Dad's cool photographer-y camera and went out to see what I could find. Sidenote - only minor trespassing was committed in acquiring these pics, but in Thaxton that's simple to solve. 'Hey, can I take a picture of your tree? Thank you much.'
     Not much is blooming in my yard. We just moved in last spring, so we only have one quick summer's worth of landscaping to show off. Our biggest accomplishment was the grass :) and a few bushes in the flowerbeds. But our laurel petlams have pinked up really nice. They actually showed up bright in contrast to the overcast day today.
That's my front porch. See the little cherub fountain hiding out in all the pink?


Tree by our mailbox, with our house in the background.


These are the Bradford pear trees at the entrance to our subdivision. I had to snap quick because it started raining on me and I had to run to the car before the camera died!
Background focus
Same pic, foreground focus
Closeup...see the pink in there? Love it.


This was on the side of the road. I did a sort of double-take in my car once I saw it because it was so pretty! Again, legality isn't an issure. U-turns in people's driveways are perfectly acceptable here haha.
Same roadside, just a few yards over, was a big spread of daffodils.
I love how they're all kind of mixed in with the tall dry grass, all rustic like.
They were all kind of drooping from the rain. I'll have to go back Thursday when it's sunny and catch them when they're standing up pretty.


Another roadside (where I live, it's perfectly fine to pull off on the side of a one lane country road just to take a picture of flowers...chances are nobody's going to drive by anyway)
I love how the white is growing right up through the old leaves.
The way the white tree leans, it kind of looks like the old brown one is chasing it :)

I moseyed along the same country road and stopped by one of my uncle's pastures to take a few shots.
This is one of my favorites of the day, with the pink, white, and yellow-green all growing in layers.
 The pink was growing around this old barbed-wire fence, kinda made for an interesting shot.
I don't know how I did it, but I love how I focused on the white in the background instead of the pink in the foreground.
These are the old fashioned kind of daffodils, white separated petals and yellow centers.
I love how the raindrops showed up so good on the stems.
I also had a little friend watching me...he wasn't quite sure what I was up to. I probably should have brought something to make friends with...like the apples in my fridge nobody has eaten.


Then I drove down another one of our many one lane country roads for some more stuff.
I drove past this field, and it wasn't particularly springy looking, but it was pretty all grassed over orange.

Went by Cane Creek. It's the kind that's graveled over and has no rails, but is still reasonably safe, so long as you aim straight when you drive over it.
This looks like something from the mountains...except it's in a creek bottom in Thaxton, MS :)

I love how this sign kind of got taken over by the vines.

Last but not least, I found one patch of the cane the creek got its name from :)

I hope Thursday turns out as sunny as the weather channel promises. I have some more yards I want to sneak into and take pics in haha. Don't worry, it's all okay if you're in a small town!

2 comments:

  1. amen for the small town place we call home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, for our country homes! :)

    Such pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete