Background

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Global Outreach/Fall Mission Update

      My dad is one of the directors at Global Outreach, and this weekend was their annual spring meeting. They meet to discuss business, and to review and approve new missionaries for full service. We heard new missionary reports from China, Uganda, and Cambodia, as well as a presentation from the Headys in Haiti. We (my family) were kind of disappointed that more missionaries from Central or South America weren't able to come, as that's kind of where I'm wanting to serve. Not that China, Uganda and Cambodia aren't great places to go, they're just not where I feel I'm being led to go. I did get contacts from most of the countries I'm considering, Haiti, Costa Rica, Honduras, Ecuador.
      I'm not picky as to where I go. I'm really just looking for somewhere that's a 'fit' for my strange and unusual skill set. I put down that I would be open to serving in a medical capacity, or working with youth or kids, and that I was skilled in organizing/office work/accounting, music, cooking, and light construction. Most girls my age go in a teaching capacity, usually for younger kids, but I'm not so much a teacher as a doer. My style of teaching is more like 'Well, I have no idea how to do it either, but we can figure it out!' haha. I do worry about running off to somewhere like Haiti, where the living conditions are very rough even for long term missionaries. I know it's not about going off to live just like here, but I'd hate to only be there a month and want to give up and come home. I told them when I applied that I'd also like to be somewhere you DIDN"T have to ride a little boat three days up a river, and then when you get there they eat bugs and nobody speaks English. Anywhere up from that though, and we're talking!
      We also got to eat lunch and catch up with Lyle and Rose Rainey, our friends who run the Global boys vo-tech in Belize. Only bad thing about that is, now I want to go back to Belize! I love the Raineys, and the vo-tech boys, and the country of Belize. However, female and 22 are sort of hindrances when you apply to work at a high school boys vo-tech haha! Maybe another trip, later on.
      Ms.Carla, the lady in charge of my paperwork at Global, told me that all my paperwork was completed and approved, and I'm all set for MOT (Missionary Orientation Training) in early June. I was a little worried about this coming about. I had gotten a somewhat late start for the May 9 deadline, but all my references were fabulously quick in returning their forms, and the deadline turned out to not be a problem. Thanks God!
      Please pray for me this week as I (attempt to) finish school, and this summer as I try to find the place God's picked for me to be and as I get ready to leave. If you know me, you know that leaving Mama and Daddy and home, for six months to a year, for a third world country, is NOT in my normal character. That's a looooong way from Walmart, and DVR, and Southern food, for a looooong time. All I can say is, "Lord, help me, for real!" 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I am so excited for you! I didn't know that you were thinking about doing this! So excited. Keep me up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I had zero clues as to what I wanted to do career wise after graduation, except get as far away from school as possible. I have the time, and God said okay, so why not? I know y'all loved your summer missions but I never had a good time to do that, so this is a little of getting to do that. I'm getting to go somewhere totally different, getting to be way more useful than just getting some random job here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you had applied to do that!! I will be praying for you to find that "perfect fit".

    ReplyDelete